Thursday, July 2, 2009

Money Machines Save the Day

My five year old was sitting at the table, counting his jar of money for about the 19th time in two days.

“Mom, I’m saving my money and you know what I’m gonna buy?” he said.

“A Bionicle?” I guessed.

“Nope,” he replied. “A money machine. You buy it for 40 dollars and then after that you can make your own money -- as much money as you want. I’ll give you and daddy some.”

Hmm, I said under my breath, sounds like the government.

We’ve enjoyed some chuckles at my child’s innocence and naivety. But sadly, his scheme isn’t all that different than the economic solutions being implemented by our leaders in Washington.

In the last year, the Federal Reserve has pumped more than $800 billion dollars of new money into our economy. Apparently, when people aren’t spending money because they don’t have any money, the U.S. government can just turn on the money machines and print some more.

It’s just one of the many puzzling solutions coming out our capitol almost daily.
• Health care plans created to protect the uninsured that will unravel the nation’s entire healthcare payment system.
• Cap-and-trade policies that will paralyze key industries like manufacturing and transportation at a time when they are already having heart failure.
• Huge government takeovers of banking, finance, auto and soon healthcare industries.
• And a $787 billion federal stimulus package that includes nearly $1 billion for North Dakota who enjoys a $1.2 billion budget surplus.

Ronald Reagan, speaking at a different moment in history, described today’s government well. “Government’s view of the economy can be summed up in a few short phrases,” he said. “If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”

As I watch my son count his coins, I’m searching for an answer to one basic question. How do all of these sweeping new policies and spending programs add up to a better America? Where is the common sense, the reality that says one plus one equals two? The change we can believe in?

A group of North Dakotans are asking these same questions in a more public way. For the second time in two months they are gathering to protest the expansion of government with a Rally on the Capitol Mall this Thursday at 6.

They’re planning speakers, music, food and vendors – a 4th of July celebration of individual liberty and freedom from overreaching government that our founding fathers envisioned.

I think I’ll join them, and bring my son. Who knows, maybe someone will be selling a money machine.

No comments: